One of the oldest and most beloved segments of To a Certain Degree is the Pop Quiz. Culled from the history of that day, topics have ranged from Canada’s 150th anniversary to space missions to live action Disney movies.
We’re always looking for quizzers! Especially if you want to promote something. And you have a mic or smartphone. Here’s what’s required:
- You pick a date and one topic from the list below.
- You read a script that Nick provides. That’s right, he writes everything.
- You send Nick the audio files. That’s right, Nick will edit it.
- You provide plugs so Nick can give you a shout out after the quiz.
- You listen to the show. This is optional.
Here are some sample quizzes:
That’s it! Here are some of the upcoming dates that are available, along with some topics:
- 1509 King Henry VIII marries wife #1 Catherine of Aragon
- 1770 Captain James Cook discovers Great Barrier Reef off Australia
- 1880 Jeannette Rankin, American politician, 1st woman elected to US Congress (R-Montana), women’s rights advocate and pacifist, born in Missoula, Montana
- 1910 Jacques Cousteau, French oceanic explorer born in Saint-André-de-Cubzac, Gironde, France
- 1939 King and Queen of England taste 1st hot dogs at FDR’s party
- 1812 War of 1812 begins as US declares war against Britain
- 1873 Susan B. Anthony fined $100 for voting for US President
- 1942 Paul McCartney, English musician and member of The Beatles, born in Liverpool, England
- 2005 David Tennant’s first appearance as the Tenth Doctor in BBC “Doctor Who” episode “The Parting of the Ways”
- 1678 Venetian Elena Cornaro Piscopia is awarded a doctorate of philosophy, the 1st woman to receive a university doctoral degree or PhD
- 1903 George Orwell, British writer (Animal Farm, 1984), born in Motihari, British India
- 1978 The rainbow flag representing gay pride is flown for the first time during the San Francisco Gay Freedom Day Parade
- 1984 Prince releases his “Purple Rain” album